Support Senator Marty and make your voice heard at the SD40 DFL Convention on Saturday, March 26th! The convention is crucial to our campaign, as we look to secure the DFL endorsement. If you'd like to sign up to support Senator Marty at the Convention, please fill out the form on our volunteer page.
Have questions or need help accessing or participating in the convention? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SD40 DFL Convention Details
- Saturday, March 26, 2022
- Mounds View High School, 1900 Lake Valentine Rd, Arden Hills, MN 55112
- Registration begins at 8:00 AM
- Gavel to order at 9:00 AM
Key Agenda Items:
- Endorsing candidates for Minnesota Senate and Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Voting on resolutions to send to the State DFL Convention to be considered as part of the DFL’s platform. Some resolutions may be debated, but mostly it’s looking over the list and voting for the ones that you agree with.
- Selecting delegates and alternates to the State DFL and 4th Congressional District (CD4) Conventions. Delegates at the State DFLConvention will vote to endorse candidates for all the Minnesota Constitutional Offices - Governor, Lt Governor, Auditor,Secretary of State, and Attorney General. The people we elect as state delegates and alternates are also the delegates to theCD4 Convention. It is at that convention where a DFL candidate for Congress will receive the DFL endorsement. You will want toelect delegates that will support your candidates and policy goals.
- Hearing from DFL candidates and office holders. During the day, various DFL candidates and office holders will stop by andspeak to the convention. They are traveling to many conventions that day, so they will speak at random times in random orderthroughout the day. Be flexible.
- Creating a new senate district organization. As a result of redistricting, you will help create the infrastructure of our new SD40DFL organization. The convention will spend some time discussing and voting on a constitution, voting for local officers (chair,vice-chair, secretary, treasurer, outreach officer), and members of the Central Committee that we call Directors.
Click here to see the full proposed agenda
What’s my expected level of involvement?
- Most delegates are happy to attend for the one day and go home. To get the most out of the day, you will want to be fully engaged in the convention proceedings: voting, listening, discussing, etc. Some folks will get more involved and will run to be delegates atother conventions, serve the local party as an officer or Central Committee Director, represent us on other DFL committees, etc.
What time should I arrive?
- The convention will be called to order at 9:00 AM. We will begin checking people in at 8:00 AM. We are expecting hundreds ofdelegates, so give yourself plenty of time for parking, registering, finding a restroom, reading over materials, etc.
Will we have assigned seats?
- You will sit with other delegates from your precinct in a designated area. Visitors and alternates will sit in their own area.
Will food be available?
- Yes. A variety of food and beverages will be available for purchase.
How long will the convention be?
- It will probably last all day – be prepared.
What’s this I hear about a walking subcaucus?
- If the delegates at our SD40 convention so choose, we will split up into subcaucuses when choosing delegates to the state and CD4conventions. According to Wikipedia, “The walking subcaucus system is a method of proportional voting used in political party meetings to choose delegates to higher meetings. It is designed to ensure that people in the minority are able to elect delegates representing their views to the higher body, as opposed to plurality at-large voting, in which the majority may elect all the delegates from members of the majority viewpoint.”
What should I bring?
- Your sunny personality; money to buy food and to make a financial contribution; and a pen for marking ballots. Optional items include: a book, tablet, or smart phone to entertain yourself during any downtime; a water bottle; and a bag lunch or snacks.
Will I have fun?